Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Little Background

Discussions.  Conversations.  Arguments.  Debates.  Regardless of their name, we take part in them daily as we sit in Annie's office, munching on Cheez-Its, Lean Pockets, and Sun Chips.  Every weekday around noon, we gather into a little space and share ideas, challenge each other, and work through complicated and often controversial issues.  Sometimes we argue just to get multiple perspectives on the table.  Sometimes we sit back and hear what others think.  Often we leave our little space at 1:00 with something new to think about, something that we can mull over as we are driving, eating dinner, or drifting off into sleep.

In my experience with this group of debaters/arguers/etc., I know that I have gotten much out of our time together.  Although on the outside we seem pretty similar, we come from different political backgrounds, have separate cultural experiences, and have unique personalities that color our discussions in beautiful and interesting ways.  Our religious backgrounds, family histories, genders, politics, educations, and experiences shape our original stances on a subject, and our open-mindedness and respect for each other shape the way we approach that topic during lunchtime.  

It is my hope that this blog acts not only as an electronic record of these lunchtime conversations but also as a shared space to continue working through ideas.  As the secretary for this blog, I will do my best to represent our ideas clearly and fairly, and I hope that my lunchtime companions contribute to this blog to clarify their ideas, fill in gaps, make connections, and think about future discussions.

I have opened this blog up to anyone who wants to read it and contribute to it.  I have my doubts that others will find our discussions as interesting as I find them, but I encourage all readers to comment on our ideas.  Enjoy!

1 comment: